REDEFINE YOUR HEALTH | TRANSFORM YOUR LIFE
Are you prediabetic?
Prediabetes is a potentially reversible condition that often leads to one of the nation’s costliest chronic diseases: diabetes.
Estimates indicate that 79 million people in the United States have pre-diabetes, but only 11% know it.
If you have been diagnosed with prediabetes or believe you are at risk of developing the disease, join our innovative, life-changing wellness program to help. In the Diabetes Prevention Program, you will learn how to adopt and maintain a healthy lifestyle that will help you reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
The YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program is a 12-month group program consisting of 25 sessions over one year (the first 19 are held within the first six months, and the last six sessions are held within the last six months) led by a trained Lifestyle Coach, all in a comfortable and supportive setting. Plus, free twelve-week membership to the Y as a part of the program.
Participants will learn strategies for:
- Healthy eating
- Getting started with physical activity
- Overcoming stress
- Staying motivated
Overall goals for all participants:
- Lose 7% of body weight
- Gradually increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week
By eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a modest weight, a person with prediabetes can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes!
Diabetes is a serious health condition that can lead to heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, high blood pressure, blindness and amputations.
It is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States, and, on average, those with diabetes have healthcare expenses more than two times higher than those without diabetes. Knowing your risk for prediabetes is key to taking control and reducing these statistics.
Participation in a group-based lifestyle intervention such as the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program has been shown to reduce the number of new cases of type 2 diabetes by 58% overall among adults at high risk and 71% in adults over 60 years old.
The program meets for 25 sessions over 12 months.
Where: NORM WAITT SR. YMCA
Fees: Members: $75 | Community: $150
CONTACT US TO GET REGISTERED:
Cailee Conlon, Program Director
- At least 18 years of age
- BMI of 25 or higher
- Possess a high risk for developing type 2 diabetes or have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes
- Youth under 18 and people previously diagnosed with diabetes do not qualify
Other risk factors:
- Being overweight or obese (BMI of 25 or higher)
- First-degree family history of diabetes
- Being age 45 or older
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Low HDL Cholesterol (35 mg/dl; 0.09 mmol/l) and high triglycerides (250 mg/dl; 2.82 mmol/l)
- High blood pressure (consistent reading of 140/90mmHg or higher)
- History of gestational diabetes or giving birth to a baby weighing more than 9 lbs
- History of vascular disease