ONE STEP AT A TIME
At the Y, a supportive community is a big part of wellness. At every age and every level of activity, you’ll find people just like you looking to live a little bit healthier.
- Let us help you reach your goals!
Check out the current or upcoming wellness programs we have to offer:
Reach your weight loss and wellness goals with us here at the YMCA!
The YMCA’s Weight Loss Program is designed to help people seeking a healthier weight achieve their goals by making small, modest changes to their daily behaviors, and forming sustainable healthy habits. This program helps participants build skills for successful lifestyle changes.
This program helps participants build skills for successful lifestyle changes as opposed to advocating any specific or restrictive short term solution. Each week, participants will weigh-in privately with the facilitator, be introduced to a new topic relevant to weight loss, discuss as a group successes/challenges/suggestions around the topic, and develop goals for the upcoming week.
Topics covered during the program include:
- Balanced eating
Stress and sleep
- Led by a trained facilitator who creates a safe and supportive environment for all, participants in our Healthy Weight Loss Program meet for one hour each week for 12 weeks. Our facilitators guide discussions on goal setting, balanced eating, physical activity, stress, mindfulness and more. Piloted at 27 YMCAs, 70% of participants lost weight during the program.
- Participants joining the program should be ready to commit to daily food and physical activity tracking as well as developing self-designed weekly action plans that incorporate what is learned during each session.
When it comes to losing weight, there isn’t a “one size fits all” strategy. Everyone’s body works differently. That’s why our Healthy Weight Loss Program teaches you how to design your own plan that you can sustain over time, rather than prescribing or advocating for one specific method or short-term solution.
There are no gimmicks and no restrictive approaches – just the tools you need to make the necessary changes to achieve your wellness goals.
Our program provides helpful tips and strategies to incorporate nutrition and physical activity into your lifestyle, while also addressing motivation, obstacles, and pitfalls that make losing weight (and keeping it off) such a challenge.
Because weight loss is unique to each person, the program focuses on helping individuals identify ways to make changes within the context of their own life and in support of their goals. Prescribed meal or exercise plans are not provided. A weekly group meeting provides a supportive network to help when the going gets tough and to celebrate successes along the way. Join today and get started on creating lasting change!
- 12 weeks / 1 session a week
- Must be 18 years or older
- Provides tools, knowledge and group support to help you develop a healthy eating and exercise plan that works for you!
YMCA Members: $75.00
January 13th – March 31st at 11:45 AM or 6:45 PM
Take Action To Improve Heart Health
YMCA’s Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring program offers personalized support as participants develop the habit of monitoring their blood pressure. Research shows that the process of recording blood pressure at least twice a month over a period of four months can lower blood pressure in many people with high blood pressure.
In this 4-month, evidence-based program participants will:
- Attend weekly small group consultations
- Take and record blood pressure at home
- Attend monthly nutrition education seminars
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be diagnosed with high blood pressure
- Not have experienced a recent cardiac event
- Not have atrial fibrillation or other arrhythmias
- Not be at risk for lymphedema
We're here for you!
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS?
Contact: Onawa YMCA Program Site Coordinator, Elizabeth Sturgill
Phone: (712) 433-2201